Scientist Cryo-Electron Microscopy
QLS are recruiting for a Cryo EM Scientist to join a Biotech Start-up based in Aargau on a permanent basis.
The company is a rapidly growing biotech company focusing on solving structures of membrane protein drug targets for the discovery and optimization of next-generation medicines. They have an integrated platform for membrane protein biochemistry, biophysics and structural biology, including X-ray crystallography and cryo-EM. Their team combines specialized knowledge in protein science, pioneering technologies in structural biology and expertise in ligand design and characterization. This position is an excellent opportunity to join a young and exciting company engaged in cutting-edge applied research.
- Establish protocols for membrane protein vitrification using conventional and emerging technologies
- Perform membrane protein sample vitrification optimization making use of tight interaction with membrane protein purification experts and own expertise in protein purification and formulation technologies
- Cryo-EM grid quality inspection, for assessment of optimal ice quality and particle distribution using our in-house screening electron microscope
- Collect and determine structures to investigate apo and potential drug ligand molecule interaction in high resolution cryo-EM structures
- Contribute to the further development of the EM capabilities by keeping up to date with the new and emerging scientific innovations
- Analyse, report and present data to project teams, clients or supervisors in an organized and dynamic way, enabling efficient project decision making
- As EM project leader, be responsible and have the scientific merits to coordinate, organize as well as perform designated projects
- Direct work interaction and collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists
- Highly motivated PhD Scientist with an open and positive mindset.
- 5+ years of post-doc experience or 2-3 years of industry experience in cryo-EM laboratories, operating experience for 120 kV, 200 kV and 300 kV microscopes for EM data collection in mandatory (Proven record of successful own practical experience in EM is mandatory)
- Experienceworking with ABC transporter drug targets
- Hands-on experience in biochemistry and cryo-electron microscopy (protein purification, sample vitrification, sample screening and electron microscope operation) is mandatory.
- Proficiency with cryo-EMsoftware packages (CryoSPARC, RELION, EMAN2, Coot, Phenix, etc…) is highly recommended.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills as well as fluency in English are essential.
- Knowledge on membrane protein formulation optimization (nanodiscs, amphipols, etc…) and experience with various vitrification systems is an advantage
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative environment, coordinate complex and time-sensitive experiments with multiple partners (colleagues, facilities, clients, etc..).
For more information or to apply for this position, please contact Adrien on 0041 (0) 800 106 106 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please could you send any correspondence in English. Please quote job reference 55481 in all correspondence.